Tuesday 29 January 2013

Cranberry Chai Simple Syrup

This is me being artsy, you caught me. 

     Mark has been busy in the kitchen prepping for his fancy new cocktails at Supply and Demand. His enthusiasm had me inspired one day: and so was born the mighty Cranberry Chai syrup. I had promised to make some homemade iced tea and he had extra cranberries. To combine them seemed natural. The recipe is super simple, (as the name implies) but it's what you can do with it that is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Cranberry Chai Simple Syrup:


Ingredients:

1 part white sugar
-1 part water
-chai tea bag or loose leaf
-half a cup fresh cranberries

Directions:

1. Bring sugar, cranberries and water to a low boil over medium high heat just until the water changes colour and the cranberries begin to split, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
2. Let cranberry mixture cool and pour into mason jar (or container of your choice). Add tea bag or loose leaf tea to mixture and let steep for 30 minutes (or less depending on how much chai flavour you want). Remove tea bag.
3. You can strain out the cranberries if you want at this point, or refrigerate as is. I'm not sure of the shelf-life, nor would I feel comfortable giving one without being an expert, but I'll bet you'll use it up before it spoils anyway.

We've been on a mason jar kick lately. We bought a few cases for homemade Christmas gifts and are using the extras for food and beverage storage in the kitchen.

 Try it:
- in a boozy drink (I had it on the rocks with some Southern Comfort)
- reduced over pancakes
- cook some apple slices in it for a special apple sauce or french toast topping
- reduced over vanilla ice cream!
- as a sweetner in your favourite tea
     


I hope you enjoy experimenting with simple syrups as much as we are. I think honey, blueberries and molasses are on my radar for new concoctions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment